Rucker Place is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Built by a Civil War veteran in 1900, Rucker Place served as a family home for the first half of the twentieth century. It then saw several decades of duty as a doctor's office. Today it is one of Birmingham's premier wedding and event destinations.
Having served in the Civil War, General Edmund Winchester Rucker arrived in Birmingham in the late 1880's. He settled in an area he named Nabob Hill - now the site of Ramsey High School, and built his home on this hill overlooking the city. Many of the families who built homes nearby became major players in the development of the Five Points South residential area, and in the city of Birmingham itself.
In 1900, the General built the house now known as Rucker Place as a wedding gift for his daughter. She raised her five children there, and the family remained in the home through the early 1950's. The house is the only existing example of shingle-style architecture in Birmingham. In fact, it may be the only one of its kind to have ever been built in the city, according to officials with the Birmingham Historical Society.
In the fall of 2002, Jack and Gail Thompson purchased the house, and after a complete renovation, opened the newly named "Historic Rucker Place" for its debut event in the Spring of 2003.Rucker Place Article 1
Rucker Place Article 2